Monster From A Prehistoric Planet (1967)

JUNE 12, 2008

GENRE: ASIAN, MONSTER
SOURCE: DVD (BUDGET PACK 2!!!)

I have never seen any of the old Godzilla movies, or Gamera, or Gorgo, ... I dunno, Googleo. But thanks to my Horror Classics set, I HAVE seen Gappa, or as it’s sadly known instead, Monster From A Prehistoric Planet (aka Daikyojû Gappa - close enough!), which I assume is pretty much the same: A guy in a suit destroying models, lots of pleasant Asian guys coming up with plans to stop them, a life lesson about mankind’s often false sense of superiority... all that good stuff is here.

It’s also, as far as I can recall, the only color film in the entire Horror Classics set, which is nice. It’s been so long since I have watched anything from the (mostly color) Chilling Classics set that I had forgotten what old, scratched, poorly transferred VHS color looked like. However, there is one thing I don’t miss, and this blatantly obvious cropped imagery:

However, Iwao Yamaz’s reenplay is an entertaining one, with a good amount of destruction, and thus many a model knocked over. I wish he had come up with the idea of having the two monsters (who are seeking their stolen baby monster) maybe split up to cover more ground, rather than constantly staying side by side and destroying the same buildings at the same time (must have inspired the game Rampage), but that’s OK. I also wish he had explained the monster’s power, which is some sort of blue light that emanates from their mouth, which causes toy airplanes to explode into 4 or 5 pieces.

(Note – I love that rather than risk continuity errors, the filmmakers use toys whether the monsters are in the shot or not).

And come on, how can you not be entertained by a monster that looks like this:

Now, as I am not familiar with the others – when there are multiple monsters, they kill off at least one of them, right? We have 3 here, I was assuming that at least one would take a nuke up the ass or something, but no, the happy ending sees the monster family taking off together, all but cheered on by the human beings the monsters were stepping on just moments earlier.

Also, the monsters sound like jets for some reason. Just wanted to point that out.

What say you?

4 comments:

  1. I love giant rubber monster movies!! However, I would agree your synopsis re: Godzilla and Gamera flicks is pretty accurate - guys in rubber suits that stomp around while people point and try to stop them. However, should you ever feel so inclined, try Godzilla vs Megalon and/or Gamera vs Guiron. They both have so many completely bizarro subplots and wtf?!? characters they transcend the stomping (of which there is plenty) and become a whole new genre onto themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You owe it to yourself to someday check out Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. It's one of the most perfectly retarded films ever made, and I do mean that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo, that's a good one too, Zach!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Destroy All Monsters. If I had to pick one. The original Godzilla that was re-cut with Raymond Burr for the US is pretty good too. But watch the Japanese one first.

    ReplyDelete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google